Mushroom is a unique blessing (food) provided by nature. Button Mushroom (Agaricus bisporous) is the most widely cultivated and consumed mushroom in the world. These mushrooms range in color from creamy white to light brown. They are sold fresh, canned, and dried.
They are low in calories, are fat free, cholesterol free, have very low levels of sugar and salt; they provide a valuable source of dietary fibre, as well as several vitamins and minerals. They provide an excellent low-calorie way to add flavour and texture to a variety of dishes, including pasta and stir-frys. With a high water content (over 90%) mushrooms can be cooked in their own juices, without the need for butter or oil.
Health benefits associated with mushrooms makes it a super food especially for vegetarians.
◦ No cholesterol and low fat with ergosterol and polyunsaturated fatty acids : Good for Heart
◦ Low calorific food with no starch, low sugars : Delight of Diabetics
◦ High Fibre, low sodium-high potassium diet : Anti-Hypertensive
◦ Only vegetable source of Vitamin D
◦ Good source of Vitamin B-complex , Vitamin H and Vitamin C
◦ Rich in minerals like copper (cardio-protective) & Selenium (anti-cancer)
◦ Anticancer, Anti-HIV, Anti-viral, Anti-histaminic, Hypo-cholesterolemic,Hepato-& Nephro-protective, Anti-oxident, stamina enhancer, etc.
|Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)|
|Energy||22 kJ (5.3 kcal)|
|Vitamin A equiv.||0 μg||0%|
|Thiamine (B1)||0.08 mg||7%|
|Riboflavin (B2)||0.4 mg||33%|
|Niacin (B3)||3.6 mg||24%|
|Pantothenic acid (B5)||1.5 mg||30%|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 mg||8%|
|Folate (B9)||17 μg||4%|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg||0%|
|Vitamin D||7 IU||1%|
|Vitamin E||0 mg||0%|
|Vitamin K||0 μg||0%|
Units : μg = micrograms; mg = milligrams; IU = International units
|Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults.|