Popular Commercial Mushrooms
- White Button Mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) It is the most popular mushroom variety grown and consumed the world over. A matured basidiocarp (fruit body) is whitish in colour and consists of thick short stipe with an annulus. The stipe supports the pileus which appears as a hat like expansion. Button mushroom cultivation has two major components, composting (preparation of substrate/compost), and crop management, (raising of mushroom crop). There are two important steps in crop management:
- Spawning and spawn run
- Casing materials, casing treatments, casing application, case run and pinhead formation
Ideal conditions of temperature (23-25°C for spawn run and 16-18°C for fruiting), humidity and ventilation mushroom needs to be maintained for optimum crop productivity.
- Oyster Mushroom (Dhingri)
The fruit bodies of Oyster mushroom are distinctly shell, fan or spatula shaped with different shades of white, cream, grey, yellow, pink or light brown depending upon the species. In the case of Pleurotus sajor caju, it’s grey while in case of Pleurotus florida it’s white. The oyster mushroom is one of the most suitable fungal organism for producing protein rich food from various agro wastes without composting.
Suitable temperature for spawn run for Pleurotus Sajor Caju is 25-32°C and 22-26°C for fruiting. In case of Pleurotus florida spawn run happens at 25-30°C and fruiting at 18-22°C.
- Milky Mushroom (Calocybe indica ; Doodhiya)
Milky mushroom is milky white in colour and resembles button mushroom but has a long stipe or stem and small cap or pileus. It can be grown on wide range of substrates as in case of oyster mushroom and the cultivation process is also similar but for the additional step of casing.
The suitable temperature for spawn run is 25-30°C and 30-35°C for fruiting, hence it can be cultivated indoors throughout the year in high temperature and high humidity areas.
To help new mushroom growers here some useful information/links :
- Directorate of Mushroom Research, Solan (HP) provides a rich repository of literature. Some useful links for mushroom growers (Only government source is listed here, lot of you tube videos are available from private trainers/growers )-
- Training Calendar (includes training regarding mushroom production technology) : http://www.nrcmushroom.org/html/trainingcalender.html . Training is also provided by State Agricultural Universities
- Low cost mushroom cultivation set-up (Hindi, 2006)
- Cultivation of White Button Mushroom (Hindi)
- Cultivation of White Button Mushroom (English)
- FAQ on White Button Mushroom crop Management (English)
- Cultivation of Oyster Mushroom (Hindi)
- Cultivation of Oyster Mushroom (English)
- FAQ on Oyster Mushroom (English)
- Cultivation of Milky Mushroom (Hindi)
- Cultivation of Milky Mushroom (English)
- Diseases and Competitor Moulds of Mushrooms and their Management (English)
- Management of disease in Oyster Mushroom (English)
- Cultivation of Mushrooms based on seasons (Hindi)
- Media (on growing mushrooms as a business)